Friday 7 October 2016

Women's Agenda 4th Leadership Awards

I cannot contain my excitement and I am still shaking!  Yesterday I attended at the Women's Agenda 4th Leadership Awards in Sydney.

I have been an avid reader of the publication since it first started and always loved the work of Angela Priestly and Georgina Dent.  When it was announced that Angela had purchased Women's Agenda this year I was immediately filled with a high level of admiration for her.  A working mother following her dreams and just doing it!

I was nominated as an Emergent Leader in the Legal Sector by my firm, and still remember the call when I was told that I made finalist.  I went into that mode I so often mentor young lawyers about, almost feeling like an imposter when I saw the four other finalists who included a Partner at my firm and someone I very much look up to, Paula Robinson along with General Counsel and Senior VP at Brookfield Property, Claire Bibby.

In my usual LawyerCas ways, I was tweeting all of the winners as they were announced, typing their category and having the hashtag ready so I just had to insert their names on announcement.  I will never forget sitting there with my phone in my hand waiting for the winner to be announced in the Legal Sector category, when I heard my name.  I can never remember a moment in life when I have shook so much with excitement.  I was also terrified about walking on stage because I was only in my second week of walking following the whole broken leg and was wearing heels (as directed by my rehab team!), but the stairs to the stage were looking a bit much.  Angela, oh Angela, so grateful for her assistance on to the stage.  I was still a bumbling mess and even mentioned my recent success about being able to wear heels again (I mean really Cas, so much substance shown!).  



I am so proud to be working alongside the women I spend most of my time with, and that I have the opportunity to progress the work done of those more senior, women like Claire and Paula.  They have done the hard yards so my time as a lawyer is easier.  Hopefully the work I do will make it easier still for the next generation.  The Award is a reminder to me that I need to keep going with my work.  If there is just a slimmer of opportunity that I can make a difference then I will be happy with leaving that legacy.  Massive thank you to Sucheta from Minters who came and supported me on the day and to everyone involved.  We can do this!

8 comments: