Sunday 1 May 2016

No I will not accept your LinkedIn dating request!

I love LinkedIn.  I think it is a great tool for continuing a professional relationship and it is now the online business card.  However, people are starting to use it like Facebook and for dating purposes.  I fear its purpose will become redundant.

My biggest bug bear about LinkedIn are the recruiters who look at my profile and then add me.  No message, just the standard LinkedIn "you are someone I trust".  Then I get a message saying, 'I saw you have career opportunities ticked and I wanted to discuss a role I want to offer you', or 'I have a role for you, let's chat'.  Well no, I don't have it checked because I'm not looking for opportunities and the role you have to offer me is an interview with five other candidates. 

A message to the young - this is not head hunting and is by no means complimentary.  Despite being Gen Y, I actually remember what recruitment was like before LinkedIn and what head hunting involved. 

To the men adding me on LinkedIn and then asking me for a wine after work, don't.  If I wanted to do online dating, I would use Tinder.

To the motivational speakers putting up quotes supposedly from Einstein, Emerson and Twain, don't. Use the message from those quotes and create your own message.  Build your personal brand.  

LinkedIn is such a resourceful tool which is under-utilised for it's required purpose.  When I first joined LinkedIn, I received referrals and recommendations for work.  One barrister had the brilliant practice of when he received a direct brief to email 3-5 lawyers who practiced in the necessary area and ask them to get back to him if they would like the work referred to them. 

Young professionals can use LinkedIn to build their practice and build your online profile.  You want that raise or promotion?  Well, set yourself apart from your colleague in the office next to you and use social media for that purpose!  An ability to build a practice at a young stage will be your most useful negotiating tool!

Picture available here

My tips, spend 20 minutes this week on updating your LinkedIn profile by:

- updating your photograph (no selfies, filtered photos or wedding pictures)
- updating your specialities and biography
- sending a message to a connection and make sure you continue the relationship
- reviewing the Groups you follow and see if you need a clean up
- searching for companies or influencers to follow (this helps you keep up on industry news and developments 
- having a look through the "people you may know" function to see if you can form new relationships. 

LinkedIn, if used correctly, is such a useful tool.  Have a reminder to review your overall profile every few months and make sure you keep in contact with your connections!

24 comments:

  1. Remarkable blog! I have no words to praise, it has really allured me.

    Http://joeandmartin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I never have t worry about my traffic tickets getting delayed because is always there for me! I would suggest them to all! http://www.bolgerlaw.com/traffic-attorney-fairfax-va/dui-lawyer/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linkedin is very useful for to get information about any thing which you want... I have a business and i hire a business lawyer to obey business law and also for to avoid the violation of business law...and i am very happy from my business lawyer
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to thank you for sharing an amazing post.I hope you would share such more article in future.
    Lawyer Adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about..
    Probate Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fortunate to have many clients who consider me their family lawyer. I want to be your attorney of first choice whether you need representation as a corporation, small business, or individua.Chapter 13 NJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Info is implausible, I would want to see more and more from your writers.
    Lawyar

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are in a need of a - good car accident attorney in New Yorkright here, girls, you can find the contacts of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It feels good to feature much enlightening and unique articles on your websites.
    ohio dui dude

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dazzling work has won my heart. I’ll come soon to your site with new hope.
    look at this site

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post. I am so glad that reading your article.love it.

    We are lawyer agency, senior divorce lawyer cherry creek are committed to Divorce Resolution through high-quality client care.
    Divorce is something that is becoming more prevalent in Western society,

    ReplyDelete
  13. The caliber of information that you're offering is merely wonderful.
    attorney

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post are very informative and helpful our social life or family life. Because present time are ha-vi effect to link love. i really like this content. It post are most help to do for women. I think this post are changed my family life. Also need any family tips to visit Divorce Lawyer Cherry Creek this site. thanks for sharing your contain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing this post. It is very informative and helpful our social life or family life.

    https://structuredsettlementquick.blogspot.com/2018/07/what-you-should-knowwhen-yousell-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Very Nice post Such a great useful information thanks for sharing XANAX 1MG BAR

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this useful information in your website. I definitely enjoyed to scoop. If you are looking for a linkedin message sender then you should visit MeetLeonard

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find Orange County Divorce AttorneyOrange County Divorce Attorney |LegalDocsA2Z encourages Amicable divorce flat fee $599 with kids, $499 no kids, save your money and time. 714-390-3766

    Visit Now:- https://legaldocsa2z.com/


    ReplyDelete