Wednesday 4 June 2014

The art of giving thanks

I am old fashioned in many ways and yes, I am gen-y but I still believe in the importance of sending a thank you note (not an email) or small gift after certain events.

Why?  Because good deeds should not go unnoticed.  Now some of you may find this hard to believe, but I have real difficulty in receiving thanks and appreciation, as are many.  I am one of those who just squirms when someone compliments me and I give a thank you and a meek smile, when really I just want them to stop. 

So when it comes time to giving thanks, I want the other person to know that I had a great time and appreciated the event/their help etc.  I will always verbalise my thanks, but there are some situations where that is not enough.

I have monogrammed cards (not personalised - just a simple "C" on the front), which I use for my thank you notes.  I love sending them - I mean who doesn't love receiving a letter in the mail these days.  Examples of when I have sent a thank you card include after my (now ex) boyfriend's parents hosted me at their house for a dinner so that I could meet them for the first time, after this lovely high school student welcomed me as her guest at morning tea one day and when a fellow career girl asked me be involved in her fashion show at a charity event. 

Depending on the situation, I might also send a gift.  Some of my favourites are Chocograms, La'Quar boxes or personalised candles.  Flowers never go out of style and after spending an afternoon at a girlfriends house pouring my heart out about my recent health scare, I sent her a bunch of flowers just to show her how much it meant to me.

I love receiving thank you notes and if I can give someone the same feeling, that just makes me smile!  My La'Quar box from Laura Chong (who featured in my City Beat article), still sits proudly in my office.  Whenever I happen to look at it, I grin from ear to ear knowing that I have such a wonderful person in my life.  Similiarly, I was recently sent the most gorgeous (and massive) bunch of lillies from someone I referred business to.  I was not expecting anything, let alone these lillies which lasted over 2 weeks and made my office smell devine. 

I simply just LOVE the act of giving thanks.  I think the importance of giving thanks has been lost in our fast-paced instantaneous world of social media and technology.

For my young career girls, here are a list of events that you should send a thank you note for:
  • When clients take you for lunch, dinner or a sporting match.  The first time you are invited, you should always send a thank you note.  For every occasion after that, you can move to a thank you email, but always say thank you.
  • If you are invited as a plus one to an event.  Sending a thank you note to the person who took you as their plus one is a great way to continue on building that relationship.  In the thank you note always include a key takeaway from the event.
  • If you are invited to speak at an event.  Speakers often appear on an unpaid basis and receive a token of appreciation be it wine, chocolates or a personalised gift from the hosting organisation.  However, if you have been asked to join a panel or speak at a seminar, you should send a thank you note to the organiser as they have helped you with building your profile and connecting you with people you may not have otherwise met. 
  • If someone refers a new client to you.  Depending on the takeaway from the new client,  you should also think about including a gift. 
Never forget the importance of giving thanks.  If not anything else, it helps you keep your handwriting in check and will put a smile on the face of another.

3 comments:

  1. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information.
    Lawyer Wills And Estates

    ReplyDelete
  2. I desire lots of articles and blogs please upload soon.
    ohioduidude.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad to locate so much of informative data in your blog.
    attorney

    ReplyDelete