Tuesday 13 May 2014

Is FOMO to blame for the sensationalisation of busy?

By now you have probably heard about FOMO (the fear of missing out) and how a driving force behind this is social media, smartphones and the culture of needing it have it now. I've been guilty of FOMO and without Facebook, I do miss out and I'm learning to accept that "fear".  I hear through second hand messages about engagements, pregnancies, even deaths, and I have missed out on social events like surprise birthdays because invites have only been communicated through Facebook. But after relinquishing my FOMO, I have also realised that those I do hear from are genuine friends and life is about making the most of what you have. 

Putting aside my FOMO issues, I also want to raise another thing I have been guilty of - sensationalising busy. When a friend calls or texts and asks how I have been, I am guilty of saying "so busy, I've been up since 4.30am, I went to the gym, had breakfast with a colleague before work, back to backs all day and now I'm racing to a networking event". Sure that was true and I do have a busy schedule, but what I wasn't realising at the time was that I was saying all of this because I thought busy equalled success. It doesn't!!  You may think by saying you are busy, people will think you are in demand or wanted and then want you too. I don't think it works that way and after a recent experience (read on), it may have the opposite effect! 

My friend wanted to know how I was. Not what I had been doing. I was actually going really great, but I didn't tell her that, instead I gave her a debrief like she was my Chief of Staff.  

A consequence of my sensationalisation came up on the weekend. I was messaging one of my best  friends as I know she is moving house soon. She has a baby under 1 year old and a fly-in-fly-out boyfriend so I asked her if she needed help packing, cleaning and moving. Her response - "I know you're busy ... I'm not going to load you up with my crap". OUCH. For one of my best friends to think she couldn't rely on me for a few hours on a weekend hurt. But I brought it on myself - I sensationalised busy one too many times. I'm the "fixer" among my friends, I'm the one they call when they need to solve a problem, I'm the one who offers solutions. I love that I can help them and I am determined to make sure I remain available to them. So here is my public apology BFF and other friends and here is my commitment to stop sensationalising busy ever again!

I cannot help but think our FOMO and our desire to share with the world what we are doing (and rightly so, our successes), has led to a culture of unnecessary busyness. This isn't healthy and I've written previously on work life balance and why I believe it is so important. I have experienced first hand the repercussions of a burnout, but it's not an experience you need to go through to learn NOT to reach that point. It is ok to have time to yourself, unwind and unplug. There is a difference between laziness and recovery. 

Now that I'm recently single, another consequence of any future sensationalisation of busyness - barrenness (but that's another blog in itself!!). 

So, next time someone asks how you've been - I want you to answer with an emotion. Happy, sad, excited, tired. Anything but busy!!

4 comments:

  1. Better to be busy than bored ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information.
    Lawyer Wills And Estates

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get pleasure from reading and revalue your changes.
    law

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waooow!!! Magnificent blogs, this is what I wanted to search. Thanks buddy
    divorce

    ReplyDelete