Friday 18 March 2016

WLAQ Inter-Professional Evening 2016

It was absolutely amazing to host the 2016 WLAQ Inter-Professional evening last night.  This year, we invited Dr Kirstin Ferguson as our guest speaker.

Below is a recap of my introduction for Kirstin given in my capacity as Vice-President.


Andre Cois Photography 

Following on from Amelia's welcome, thank you all for attending tonight.
When I was looking for some inspiration on what I wanted my message to be for tonight's introduction, I came across an article in Women's Agenda today confirming that a portion of the cost of our work handbag may be tax deductible.  I completely digressed from the task and found myself on the Burberry website contemplating a rather expensive purchase.

I didn't go through with the purchase because my attention was diverted, correctly, back to the issue at hand.  Why are we, in 2016 still having to contemplate different arrangements for men and women.  There has never been any questions or debate raised over a men's ability to claim for his briefcase.  This is an issue I struggle with.  The ideas of feminism, along with the negative connotations post 1903 era of Emily Plunkett's radical feminism seem to have progressed, but our action in actually effecting change and achieving parity has not.
So much so it was reported this week in the PwC Women in Work Index that Australia has dropped from 17th to 20th (out of 33) in terms of female economic empowerment.  Of note, New Zealand is 4th and UK jumped from 21 to 16.  It is not that Australia is no longer taking action, it's just that the rest of the world is taking even more action.
This time last year, we were hosting our first Inter-Professional event with the newly appointed Minister for Women, Shannon Fentiman.  I spoke about how women no longer accepted "good enough", and with the taste of success, it was incumbent upon us all to selflessly work together, because we must continue to build on the success of the dedicated women before us.
I am pleased to say that progress for women in the legal profession in Queensland, particularly at the Bar, has not regressed, with the latest Supreme Court Annual Report confirming an increase in appearances by women in the Court of Appeal, criminal matters and civil matters. 
While my next comment may be interpreted as biased, I have no hesitation in stating that WLAQ continues to achieve success in advocating for women in the legal profession under the leadership of our current President.
It is through our deliberate action that we host tonight's event and allow our members an opportunity to network with other mid to senior professional businesswomen in Brisbane, to discuss the issues facing our everyday work life, enjoy a well earned wine, and to hear from a now former member of the legal profession, who, if I may be so bold to say, is absolutely killing it in the Boardroom.
Kirstin Ferguson is a lady who has a seat at the table and her career alone is an example of action that can be taken to achieve parity.  I first came across Kirstin through Twitter as we were both tweeting about union. 
I had an online stalk, and when reading through her resume, my immediate reaction was I need to meet this woman.  Currently on the Board for the ABC, the Queensland Theatre Company, previously Chairwoman of Thiess, and the first female director of Reds Rugby Union.  I wanted in on her inner circle, or in line with the latest buzz word – her squad!
With a PhD to go along side her degrees in Law and Arts (both of which she obtained with Honours), it is no surprise that Kirstin was named in the Australian Financial Review's 100 Women of Influence in 2014.
I am very much looking forward to hearing from Kirstin, and ask that you please make her welcome.

9 comments:

  1. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include.
    Probate Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gigantic moonlike of recommendation, keep moving on.
    DUI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I conclude I haven't understood such particular incomparable contents anywhere added online.
    ohioduidude.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those who are still far from your site they are missing the more brilliant stuff of the blogs.
    check these guys out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy reading and also appreciate your work.
    appleton

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lawyer charge is reliant upon his aptitudes, experience and prevalence diagram. Here are the 10 of most costly legal counselors on the planet you should think thrice before procuring on the grounds that they charge high for their services and consultation.

    https://structuredsettlementquick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Very Nice post Such a great useful information thanks for sharing Pregabalin 300 MG Capsule

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really a good source of information, I will often follow it to know more information and expand my knowledge, I think everyone should know it, parramatta criminal lawyers thanks

    ReplyDelete