Monday 8 September 2014

Yes, I am a girl. Yes, I like sports!

I get emails and messages from young professionals around the world about different work situations and asking me now they should best deal with it.  One topic I get constantly is invitations to sporting events. 

The ladies I hear from are either invited to a sporting event as the "token" female or not invited as it is assumed they don't like sport.  Both cases are ignorant and outdated and I have been in both.  Admittingly, the best of the bad situations would be the token female invitation and then being able to hold a conversation about what is happening in said game (just don't be that overly excited female throwing beers at the poor bloke in front of you because he barracks for the other side).

But what do you do if you are not invited because (shock) you're female, and what do you do when you are told the reason why is because they "didn't think you would enjoy the game"? 

The best way to deal with it is to directly address the issue. Say something. However, if you are anything like me, in times of potential confrontation the conversation never comes out as I actually planned it in my head! 

Thankfully talking about attendance at sporting events isn't confrontational (well I hope not). Simply acknowledge what was said, but reference the sport/match/game and how you would liked to come along next time.  Might sound bold, but it works. 

It is also good to make your sporting interests known in the office. I am not talking about pinning Qld Reds flags to your desk and substituting your suit jacket for a Broncos hoodie, I am talking about making conversation with your male colleagues about the games from the weekend. Trust me - it works!!  A lot of companies also have office sports teams which are all mixed.  Joining up for the touch footy or soccer team is another great way to show your interest.

I love my sports and I really enjoying entertaining (or being entertained) at sporting events!  Just because your female doesn't mean you are completely inept with any type of sporting prowess.  A few years ago, I was sent tickets to the Ashes from a male Managing Director because he ended up being wrong on a footy rule that we were debating the weekend before at a Broncos match.  Best thing is I now have a great working relationship with this MD and he even started hosting female only sporting events - organises and pays for a box at the union/afl/cricket, gift bags for everyone going, cabs to and from the stadium and full hospitality at the game.  We need more MDs like this!

My lasting comment to you - don't just sit there and take it, but don't go to the extreme.  Deal with the situation as it comes and take proactive steps to prevent it from happening again.  In an ideal world (which will never happen), there would be no issue with female workers being asked, or attending, company marketing events that are sports related.  Until we get such ideal world, don't throw a private tantrum - DO something about changing it.



7 comments:

  1. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!
    Estate Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog with the best stuff is provoking the people to give the good remarks.
    Lawyar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sent your articles links to all my contacts and all of them liked it including me as well.
    ohio dui dude

    ReplyDelete
  4. In some countries the attorney is required to have certain qualifications while others require different degrees of the same designation. how to file a patent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally I think overjoyed I discovered the blogs.
    appleton

    ReplyDelete
  6. ร้อยไหม
    ร้อยไหมปรับรูปหน้า ปรับรูปหน้าที่ไหไนดี ร้อยไหมไหนดี? กังนัมสถานพยาบาลเป็นคำตอบไม่ว่าจะเป็น ร้อยไหมหน้าเรียว เป็นวีไลน์แบบประเทศเกาหลีด้วยไหมก้าง ให้ท่านงามแบบประเทศเกาหลี ลดอายุ หน้าเด็ก ไม่เจ็บ ไม่บอบช้ำ ไม่บวม หน้าเป็นวีเชฟ ลดเหนียง เหนียงกระชับสมปรารถนาร้อยไหมก้างปลา
    ร้อยไหม ปรับรูปหน้า
    ร้อยไหม pantip
    ร้อยไหม กังนัม

    ReplyDelete