Thursday 4 September 2014

Take some "me time" - avoid a burnout (and go to a day spa)

Anyone who has ever suffered a burnout, never wants to experience it again.  It is not a good feeling and once you have been there, trust me - you will be taking steps to make sure it does not happen again!

A burnout affects people differently and for me it usually results in a "meltdown" of some sorts. I'm not talking a tantrum or the like, I am more like a balloon that has reached maximum size and is just tethering on the stages of popping.  It just takes one little "prick", and I am popped (and it is usually in response to something so little and "un-pop worthy", but I am just that on edge, it has put me over). Thankfully, over the years I have realised what I need to do in order to avoid the burnout phase.  Even with the best intentions though, I can come close to a burnout.  I don't want that for me and I don't want that for you.  As they say - every time a rubber band is stretched, while it does "bounce back", it never bounces back to the same shape it was previously.   Don't let your burnouts take you to a place you can't come back from.

Finding what works for you 

The best mechanisms for avoiding a burnout will be different for every one. 

My best good girlfriend Jessica Turner has her own blog on health and lifestyle and kindly shared her views on the importance of looking after yourself. 

I've learnt to make nurturing myself a priority. I know if I take the time to do the things which give me a sense of wellbeing and create space in my life.. I'm better at work, in my relationships and I'm just plain happier!

When I forget or ignore what my mind and body needs, I'm not the best version of myself.

Its not about being indulgent or lazy, self care is giving yourself the love and respect you deserve and truly need to for a healthy body and mind. 

My favourite ways to nurture myself are yoga, meditation, getting a facial or massage, taking a long bath and taking myself out for a beautiful nourishing breakfast at my favourite cafe. These simple expressions of self love keep me smiling.

Luckily, Jessica and I have similar mechanisms in place for avoiding a burnout.  For me, it's not just about going for the gym and doing coffee, it's about scheduling time where I have no choice but to unplug.  I love getting a massage but have never been big on getting a facial (I thought they sounded pretentious).  However, as I edge towards 30 (under two months to go!), I have been looking at ways to kill two birds with one stone - preventing the ageing process and unplugging at the same time. 

My increased work with WLAQ has decreased my available "me time", but if I want to offer myself fully to advancing women in the legal profession and also in my work, I need to be on my A-Game.  I realised recently that I needed to schedule in "me time" to unplug (and avoid a burnout) and decided to do something different (Jess' influence) and put a call out on Twitter for some day spa recommendations.  Noel and his team at Aquarius Health & MediSpa replied and organised for me to come in for a facial and use their day spa facilities.  When I walked in I thought of Louis Litt and his mud spa scene with Mike where he stands up (naked) and says "I cannot mix work with mudding", so iPhone was switched off the moment I walked in!



I had the best time at Aquarius!  I didn't realise there were so many things you can get done at the day spa (Aquarius also has Cosmetic Image Clinics for those who want to take a different route for relaxation).  I told the beauty therapist that I was not really big on facials, and her response reinforced a message I remember reading in one of Dr Lois Frankel's books - your appearance is your brand and you are judged on your appearance before you even have a chance to speak and show your worth.  I realised that if I felt like crap, all tired and sluggy, I probably looked that way too! 

While I wish I could say I spent a few hours using these facilities, I must admit to feeling a little guilty for not "doing anything", and only spent about 45mins taking advantage of the quiet (and no iPhone!).  I honestly felt so good after I walked out. My only mistake was not arranging a massage (ok ok, I have booked in for another treatment in a few weeks time and I actually don't feel guilty about it!)

Life is a marathon 

Burnouts are not a pretty thing.  As Kelly Cutrone said, young girls need to realise life is a marathon not a sprint.  No one can fully prepare you for the transition from University to a full time career, but we can give you tips and guide you.  Learn from those who have been-there-done-that.  I want all you young professional women to realise is that you need to make a habit to schedule "me time" where you can 100% unplug.  Take time to pamper yourself.  Relax, unplug and go and get a treatment - look after your health!  

Find what works for you - but do not feel guilty for spending time on yourself.  Mental wellbeing is just as important as your physical.  

Go and check your diary and schedule some "me time". 
 
Cas 

Thank you to Aquarius Health & MediSpa for giving me the royal treatment.  The staff did not know that Noel had organised the day for me, or that I would be writing this blog, which is what really impressed me about their service!  To them, I was just another customer.  I can't wait to go again.

 
 

8 comments:

  1. Good information and great post. I like the website, and am sure to keep returning.
    Work at Best Chicago mesothelioma lawyer Corp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!
    Estate Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice stuff this is what I was looking for!!
    ohioduidude.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I endlessly am waiting on forthcoming to your posts again because I have impressed through your writing.
    ohioduidude

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog excessively interesting indeed. I really enjoyed studying it.
    lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. if you or a loved one has mesothelioma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. someone hit my car and i have no insurance

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are a lot of blogs over the Internet. But I can surely say that your blog is amazing in all. It has all the qualities that a perfect blog should have. Online Quran Academy

    ReplyDelete