Monday 21 April 2014

Don't leave before you have left

For anyone who saw my debate at the AIM International Women's Day debate back in March, you will already know my thoughts on Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In.  While I think her book has been fantastic in terms of raising much needed awareness surrounding the issues of women in business and gender equality, however in terms of content, personally I did not take much from the book. Except this - Don't leave before you leave. This chapter was moreso focused on women making decisions now in anticipation of what could happen in the future, eg not taking a promotion now because in 3 years you may want to have maternity leave. However, the name of the chapter suggests to me this concept is can be expanded to be used after you have resigned and while working out your notice period - don't (mentally) leave before you have left. 

I recently resigned my job and finished up in employment and workplace relations law to return to my love of insurance and personal injury litigation. At the time of resigning, I was still managing my health issues, but I made it clear to my Partner when I resigned that I was not leaving before I actually left.  The idea behind this is not burning your bridges and still producing quality work until your last day. 

During your notice period don't start taking extended lunches, don't lapse on timing of work and continue to follow up instructions from clients. Leave plenty of time for a full handover and talk with your Partner to see how they want to conduct the handover. I recommend file notes for each matter with key dates and issues highlighted, including your thoughts on the matter. If necessary, arrange a meeting with your co-worker who will be taking over the matters and ensure your secretary assists with having filing up to date. 

No matter what your reasons are for leaving a position, you should never create bad blood while working out your notice period.  Remember, you never know where you will end up in the future and you will find its a small world. Have enough respect to your firm, your Partner, and to yourself, to continue to apply yourself 100% during your notice period. You won't regret it. 


2 comments:

  1. I read this post fully concerning the difference of latest and former stuff, it is awesome article.
    www.ohioduidude.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great job you have already done. I’m really delighted to see your amazing work.
    Divorce Attorney

    ReplyDelete