Sunday 2 November 2014

Upcoming #careergirls looking to protect future wealth

Yes, the times are beginning to change if recent reports from the UK are anything to go by.  What reports and what change? 

Well, to begin with, Victoria Beckham has been announced as the top Entrepreneur for UK and has now overtaken hubby, Becks, in the earning front #lovesit. 


The other story?  Not fashion related but still in line with career driven females, are the latest reports from lawyers in the UK who are reporting a surge in requests for pre-nups from females looking to protect their future assets.  I love this on so many fronts. 
 
Females initiating a change, females forecasting ahead and planning for the worst, but most of all, females recognising that they are going to have something (even) more of value in the future that will need protecting.  Gone are the days where a woman entered into a relationship knowing that she would have brought less to the table at the beginning, earn less throughout and end up with less in superannuation at the end (ok the latter may still be a problem overall given disaparity in equal pay).  But my point is, the new generation of women coming through, i.e. my generation, are seeing a paradigm shift in the earnings front (I was going to say power front - does earnings equal power?  Let's debate that next time!).
 
I personally encourage the use of pre-nups and cohab agreements (no I am not a family lawyer), because I think its important to protect what you bring, or could bring to the table.  I have a firm belief that when you marry, you marry for life, but as a lawyer and realist, one should always be prepared for the worst. 
 
I just hope with the generational change in up and coming power females looking to protect their (future) assets, is not met with discouragement from the wider community or their partners.  A girlfriend from University called me a few years ago wanting a recommendation to a family lawyer because she had just gotten engaged and was about to have her fiance move into the townhouse that she owned.  Her parents had a lot of money, she was involved in a number of trusts, and while her fiance was not without his own earnings, she wanted to protect what her and her family had built up over the years.  He was completely happy with entering into a pre-nup because he recognised the importance of showing that there was no issue with it on his behalf.  Unfortunately, I have not heard similiar stories (one of my guy friend's said entering one at the request of his girlfriend was (to him) a declaration that she earned more).
 
Love is grand, marriage is meant to be even more grand.  But remember you had a life before the marriage, and you will need a life if the marriage fails.  If the option is available, take steps to protect your assets!


9 comments:

  1. Hi I was searching for the blogs for many times, now I have reached at the right place.click it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really a great blog with a best thoughts and ideas are shared thanks for sharing such an interesting article
    New Jersey Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much does a traffic lawyer cost in North Carolina?
    road traffic lawyer scotland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on with this article, I really think this website needs more attention.  I will probably be back to read more, thanks for the info.
    lawyers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very interested in your post! Thank you so much! Have a nice day!
    Work at Best Chicago mesothelioma lawyer Corp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!
    Estate Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I even have been gifted for hours and I haven't suffered such awesome stuff.
    www.ohioduidude.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have an effect on is totally appreciative and full of interest.
    http://ohioduidude.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The stuff in the blogs blows out my mind.
    divorce

    ReplyDelete