Thursday 26 June 2014

Giving back

We all have the ability to give back in one way or another. Giving back does not only include donating time or money to charity. It involves so much more.

I recently interviewed Dr Lois Frankel for Gloss Magazine and the one quote that stuck with me was "when a woman entrepreneur is successful it's her responsibility to take an other woman with her". Now I am not an entrepreneur, but I think this statement applies too professional women as well. I remember when I met up with Dr Frankel in August 2013, it was just prior to my Australian Young Lawyers Conference speech and I told her how I was grappling with what to say. Do I tell these young lawyers all my "secrets" about using social media for work purposes/referrals or do I tell them enough to get started. Dr Frankel said I should share all of my knowledge with them, and they can use that information how they want (i.e. If they are motivated enough they will do something). I reflected on this after our meeting and thought you know what, she is right. I have the ability to help others grow in their careers, so why not help them 100%!

I frequently receive emails from young lawyers around the world asking for advice on how to deal with various situations in the workplace. It ranges from what to wear to Court, to the more serious workplace bullying and stigmas relating to mental illness (just don't ask me for dating advice - not my strength haha!). It takes 5 minutes of my day to respond, but could make such an impact on their life and career. Why wouldn't I give back?

Many workplaces have buddying/mentoring programs. If you have the opportunity, I would encourage you to take part. Help those younger professionals as they build the foundation to their careers. It's about empowering others, not using them as stepping stones. 

Another way you can give back, is to align yourself with a not-for-profit association or charity. I was previously Secretary of Sunshine Coast Girls Boardriders and found so much personal satisfaction in being able to put my organisational skills to use with my love of surfing. Yes, it could be time consuming, but the costs benefits analysis saw the gratitude if these young girls far outweigh the 6am start time of a Sunday. 

This morning I was invited to speak at the Beenleigh Yatala Chamber of Commerce on my background and involvement in charity and volunteer work. It was a 645am start and I live on the northside of Brisbane so was a bit of a drive. But do you know what? The engagement of those 80 odd high school students and the eagerness in their eyes makes it all worth it. I hope I've made a difference to them. 



Tonight I was also fortunate to be voted in as Secretary of the Women Lawyer's Assocation of Queensland. I cannot wait to work with Kelly as the new President and the rest of the executive in bridging the gender diversity gap. 

I encourage you all to give back. Helping others is worth every minute. 


6 comments:

  1. That is such a great advocacy. I've heard once that the true measure of success for any man or woman is how much help they give to the people who need it. I believe in that; therefore, I believe you are a really successful person. You're an admirable individual and the world will be a much better place if there are more people like you. All the best to you!

    Norman Watkins @ Giving Works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norman. Thank you so much for your kind message. It makes me smile knowing that I can make even a little bit of a difference and perhaps even inspire others to make small changes. Together it can make one big change!

      Delete
  2. I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information.
    Lawyer Wills And Estates

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never found such informatory contents.
    Lawyar

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one amongst the informative blogs that you shared with us.
    ohio dui dude

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really appreciating very much by seeing your interesting posts.
    divorce attorney appleton wi

    ReplyDelete