Sunday 8 September 2013

Uni and Work. Is it the same thing? Part 1 of tips for your transition

You've finished uni and you're about to start as a Graduate/Trainee Solicitor. Think it's the same thing? Late nights, lots of reading and trying to impress your superiors while (secretly) trying to outdo your fellow junior colleagues. Wrong.

Working life is completely differently. Yes you still need the same drive and ambition, but your first lesson will be learning the environment and atmosphere.  It's like Dr Lois Frankel says - you need to learn the office politics in order to get ahead. 

Just don't watch Suits the night before your first day. You are not Mike Ross, you're the Harold. You won't have a Rachael and the Jessica won't know your name. Your supervising Partner will be a Harvey, but you won't be getting home visits or spoon fed on cases. 

Here's a few of my tips (this was about 3 times as long but I've cut it back - will do a part 2 soon!) on what I have learned through the past 6 years. 

1. Identify opportunities

Your job is to make sure the Senior Associates/Special Counsel/Partners have the correct information they need to give advice to the client. If you come up with two answers, or two paths, go to whoever gave you the task and say "I think we could go this way or this way, but it depends on this". Don't just give them both in a memo and leave it. Use your initiative. 

You nail the research, the Partner nails their advice. I will never forget the first "great work" on a memo I had given a Partner. I had worked hard on this research and it was good it was recognised. Just don't expect this constantly. Partners aren't there to blow smoke up your butt - but they will acknowledge hard work when it's earned. 

2. Ask Questions - but don't suck up

Personally I love questions. The best is "why are you doing it that way". If you've helped me with a task and the advice/documents have gone, follow it up. Ask for a copy or 5 mins to discuss why that path was chosen. This is how you learn. 

But don't ask questions if you know the answer, or you just want to show off. Partners don't have time for that. I was instructing at my first criminal trial and the Barrister I was instructing said to me "I don't ask a witness a question unless I know the answer and don't ask me a question if you can't anticipate my answer". Best piece of advice ever. 

3. That's not my job, ahh well it is

You're a Grad. Everything is your job. Look at the positives a) you're being asked and b) think about what you will learn. 

Every task has a purpose. Photocopying a brief isn't just numbering pages. It's your opportunity to see how a litigation runs. Use it to your advantage and familiarise yourself with the documents and why they are in there. 

You cant keep your "I'm a law student" attitude. That will need to change quick smart. Being a graduate is similar to going from Grade 7 to Grade 8. One minute you're at the top, next you're at the bottom. Deal with it and get back to the top again. 

4. Don't stay long hours if you don't have work to do
There are so many opinions on this. Some stay stay longer than everyone else, others say only stay if you're needed. 
 
I say there is a middle ground. If you're meant to be there 8.30am to 5pm, be prepared to be there 8am to 530pm. Let your supervisors know if have capacity and pop your head in before you leave. Work in with your partner, if they are early risers, maybe try getting in early if you need to see them. Just remember work life balance (see past post). 
Your biggest asset will be your ability to judge your workload. There's a difference between staying back and getting a task done so you can say its done and staying back due to an urgent timeframe. I could be in the office 24 hours a day if I didn't know the difference. Prioritise. Your work will never be done. There's always something waiting for you. 
5. Create a precedent list
 
This will be your greatest asset. Mine has a contents page and is broken down into categories and sub-headings. Nerd I know. 
 
But case law is so important and as a Grad you will have first hand access which will help you for the rest of your career. 
~~~
Moving forward (get used to that saying) - you will get there. You just need to prove yourself. My philosophy is work hard while you are a junior and prove your worth. Don't step on toes or over toes. Make sure your bring up list is checked daily and do a completely file review monthly. 
 
Don't think you're too good for any task. Don't backchat and don't get it wrong. Try your hardest. Being a lawyer is all about reputation. Your Graduate years will define you. 
 
To my fellow career girls, do yourself a favour and read Nice Girls Don't get the Corner Office by Dr Lois Frankel. It will help you with your behaviour and attitude and leads me to my next blog post - your professional voice vs your personal voice. Massive thanks to Katherine Feeney, Brisbane Times who gave me the idea for my next post. 

1 comment:

  1. I have looked for so several posts about the blog lovers except this post is of course a nice one, keep on.
    www.ohioduidude.com

    ReplyDelete